Round Sheffield Run

2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #4327 by Jan Forrester
Round Sheffield Run - 2021 by Dan AshcroftIn 1936, George Orwell said of Sheffield that the town is very hilly (said to be built on seven hills, like Rome) and everywhere streets of mean little houses blackened by smoke run up at sharp angles. More recently, in 1997, the opening sequence of the Full Monty showed us how Sheffield was the City on the Move in the 1970s thanks to its steel industry and then went on to show the consequences of its demise in the 90s. More recently a report by the Director of Public Health for the City identified that life expectancy was 10 years less on one side of the City than the other, quite remarkable really! It's nothing like Rome.And even more recently on 26 and 27 June 2021, the 7th edition of the Round Sheffield Run (RSR) took place and the City was really on the move for the weekend. The race took place over two days to accommodate the 2,000 plus individual and pair runners who had originally been due to race in June 2020 and January 2021. To be fair, when you tell people that you are doing the RSR, they have visions of you running some kind of ultra around the entire city, which thankfully is not the case.The race starts and finishes in Endcliffe Park which is very picturesque with its woods and water features and situated in some of the streets of mean little houses which are no longer blackened. The route follows the ‘Sheffield Round Walk’ and goes through the parks and woodland areas in the more affluent areas of the City before dipping into the Abbeydale area and back to Endcliffe. Even though you don’t see all seven hills, there are some good climbs, including Ringinglow. It is a race of 11 timed stages with recovery walks/jogs in between, the entire route is almost 15 miles, of which approximately 12 miles is timed running.In 2021, there was a good turnout from Matlock Athletic Club over the weekend. First MAC home was Andrew Watson in 89th place in a time of 1:21:05, he was followed by Craig Allen, Peter Wilmot, Daniel Ashcroft, Gary Jones, Alison Pye, Penny McCloy and Johanna and Mike Lloyd (running as a pair). The winner was Andrew Heyes (Hallamshire Harriers) in 1:01:15 and first lady was Sophie Wood (Sale Harriers) in 1:12:19. There were 2,161 finishers. Hats off to RSR for a great race weekend.
Penny McCloy Today I ran the Round Sheffield Run, a great event and loved most parts of it. It has 11 timed stages making a total of just over 20km, with linking walk/run rounding up to 23.36. (total of 628.13m height gain - it is Sheffield after all!)Really pleased with my total time for the stages of 1.51.22 putting me 20th in the FV50 (out of 157!) I even came 2nd in one stage and 3rd in another - both crazy downhill out of control - thanks Nicky Dick for those 'How to run downhill' sessions. (in my category I should add)I'm sure my time wouldn't have been nearly as good if daughter Caitlin hadn't joined me half way round to keep me going.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top