David Bell Memorial Hoppits Hill Fell Race

1 week 4 days ago #4283 by Jan Forrester
Geoff Cooper’s report on David Bell Memorial Hoppits Hill fell race -The race is organised by Nicky Spinks, Nicky organised this race in memory of her close friend David who sadly passed away in 2009.We travelled up to Mirfield which is just south of Dewsbury in Yorkshire, quite a long distance to just run a 3 mile race some people may think, 14 weeks free from COVID-19 I wanted something to aim for in regards of my training.We arrived at the Cricket club where there was lots of free parking and the local Cricket club was doing cooking breakfast and teas and coffees and also a wood fired Pizza kitchen.Entry was online and the registration was set in a field away from any people and when I got there I was able to walk straight up and register, everything was in a sealed bag and then the big apprehension of warm-up and starting.The race was chipped time and was very well organised, you started in waves and they went by the first letter of your club but any unregistered went first, you could also go off at regular intervals if you did not want to wait for your slotted time. I set off on my own which took away any guns blazing start, I went just for the enjoyment and to meet old friends however the race got the better of me, from the start you have a full on climb up through woods on a stony, soft ground, it’s quite a tough climb and then following the markers you drop back into woods and at this I went all guns blazing as I like the downhills then you have a little hill back out into a flat field which I thought this is great !! Little did I know !! You carry on descending and then a sharp left turn sends you back up a slight hill back out onto a field with good steep climb and then back out onto fields. At this point I was starting to feel it but then you have a steep descent down fields and onto a farm track, again down hill but then a turn right back up a slight incline which now has my calfs burning !! You then descend again and can hear the crowds you think the hills are gone only to find the sting in the tail, a steep hill up to the finish, by now I can hear footsteps and grunting behind so just gave it my all as to get the finish .Chip time taken and dropped my wristband into the yellow bucket and award with a bottle of beer . Overall the race was very well organised and it’s more of a cross country race rather than a fell race but highly recommended, not the best of time for the distance but I enjoyed it.First Male in 18-56 was Dark Peak Fellrunner Euan Patton.First Lady was HolmFirth Harrier Katie Walshaw in 20-59.Myself, I came 75th in a field of 149 runners in a time of 28-03.Geoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top