Wrekin Wrecker FR

2 weeks 5 days ago #4023 by Jan Forrester
Bob Foreman reports-"It does exactly what it says on the tin" is a phrase that sums up the Wrekin Wrecker Fell Race. Classed as an AM, at 8 miles and 2,400 feet, the race is basically 4 very steep ascents and descents of the Wrekin Hill.
On Sunday, 137 runners gathered at The Buckatree Hotel, near Telford, and following registration jogged the mile to the start which is in the woods at the foot of the Wrekin. A totally tarmac free race, most of the route was on leaf littered paths and tracks that were either rocky or covered in varying degrees of mud. Throw in slippery tree roots, stream beds and a few fallen trees and the descents became treacherous.
Due to mist and low cloud visibility was poor and down to a few yards on the numerous visits to the summit ridge and even though the course was well marshaled and partially marked there were times when thoughts like "shit I've gone the wrong way" entered the head only to have that euphoria of seeing a bit of red tape or a marshal clad in yellow appear from the mist.
Following the last descent an undulating, energy sapping final mile brought runners to the finish in a clearing in the woods.
A short walk/jog back to the Buckatree Hotel where fantastic chip butties were served and results announced.
The winner was Phillip Wilkinson of Mercia in 1.03.42. First lady and 14th O/A was Rachel Parker of Mercia in 1.09 51
For MAC, Matt Nichols was 18th in 1.11.47 and Bob Foreman 38th and 1st V60 in 1.20.34.
Running in his 1st claim Ripley vest the lovely Luke Beresford was 8th in 1.07.34.A thoroughly tough, enjoyable day out very well organised by Newport Running Club. Real Ale was available at the Buckatree but I resisted due to driving home, during which I was serenaded by Matt Nichol's snoring!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top