Montane Lakeland 100 & 50 miler, Coniston

4 weeks 1 day ago - 4 weeks 1 day ago #3882 by Jan Forrester
It was the 12th Montane Lakeland 100 and 50 miler at the weekend with compulsory manned checkpoints along the route.  The cut off time for racers to complete the 100 is 40 hours and with 6,856m of ascent, there are many who do not finish.  The race starts and finishes in Coniston.  This year too there was the added difficulty of the weather turning to torrential rain.  
The 50 miler starts in Dalemain and finishes in Coniston covering the 2nd half of the 100 mile route.  The cut off time for racers is 24 hours. With 3,069m ascent.  
An amazing achievement for John Thorpe, Derek Chetwin and Alaina Bond in the Lakeland 50 -
miler.  
“Alaina takes up the story - Not sure how but I did it. 50 Lake District miles in 12hrs 27mins 10 secs within the top 30 solo female finishers. Way out of my comfort zone in lots of ways but way faster than I thought I could do it. Weirdly enough I enjoyed the 2nd half better than the first..the checkpoints were great, it rained constantly and I might have enjoyed some of it. Will I be back? Still undecided. Thank you and well done John who finished in an amazing 9hrs 39mins!
Now lay in the tent unable to sleep because my legs and feet hurt so much.  Thank you for all the messages everyone."
John states "Well that was a toughie but 50 miles in 9:39:34 in 31st place overall!   Just need to lie down and cry now!! Apparently I'm now a Lakeland Legend."
Many congrats also to MAC Derek Chetwin who finished in 12 hours 09 minutes 42 secs.
Many runners DNF due to the weather conditions including Andy Hall representing Little Eaton Hornets who attempted the Lakeland 100 miler!
The winner of the Lakeland 100 was Rory Harris 21 hours 29 minutes 51 secs and the 1st lady was Anna Troup, Trail Running Association 26 hours 19 minutes 27 secs.  The winner of the 50 was Jayson Cavill,Team Montane 7.55.42 and 1st lady was Bethan Male, Brighton Tri Club 9.26.02

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top