Hope Wakes FR (9.5k/451m)

2 weeks 4 days ago #3842 by Jan Forrester
Report from Stuart Bond on Hope Wakes FR -
Weds night was the return of the Hope Wakes Fell Race. It is one of the Peak District’s oldest Fell races and dates back to 1953. 
It was a cool evening, but wet underfoot with low clagg at the summit of Win Hill. 
Having won this race 6 times previously over the years it was a tall ask to win for a 7th time, as there are plenty of younger legged whipper snappers around these days all wanting to win. 
The race started off at a strong fast pace going into the first climb. I held up in 3rd respectfully 20secs off the front. The gap didn’t change much after the two climbs to the Summit of Win Hill going into the final 2ml descent to the finish. I chased hard on the descent reaching speeds of just over 18mph, but to no avail. The race ended with Harry Holmes Matlock AC taking victory in 42:53 and myself coming in 3rd place, just 2 seconds behind a new U23 runner, and a respectable 29 seconds behind Harry in 43:22! I might be much older than these youngsters, but I still have plenty of speed in these legs!
Full results -
www.racetek-live.co.uk/website/public_re...36/complete_results/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top