Lichfield Half Marathon

6 days 2 hours ago - 6 days 2 hours ago #3763 by Jan Forrester
Jim Thorneycroft reports on Lichfield half marathon on Sunday.
Many contrafibularities to Daniel Ashcroft on a new HM PB!Lichfield is notable for being one of only three cities in the UK, along with Truro and Edinburgh, to boast a Cathedral with three spires. It is also famous for being the birthplace of Dr. Samuel Johnson, who compiled the first English dictionary - an event so beautifully satired by that cunning knave Edmund Blackadder in the 'Ink and Incapability' episode of Blackadder 3.So after being mercilessly mocked by a couple of my more learned friends on the Committee for a few typo's on the Hairy Helmet relay team draft, it was fitting that I should join Dan to do my penance as we continued our compunctuous liking for the half marathon distance. 
The course offered a rolling terrain with no pericombobulations, but with the warning of a brief interludicle just after the hafway point should the rail crossing have to close.The race started in the grounds of the King Edward VII Leisure Centre and featured the usual frasmotic half start before it settled down to a pleasant run around quiet Staffordshire roads, apart from encountering the interfrastically upset driver at mile 7 who took exception to the rolling road block in place to give the runners a clear route. 
Both MAC's did make it over the aforementioned rail crosssing without being held up, and then set sail for a frasmotic finish in the extramuralisating setting of Stowe Park in view of the Cathedral.It was Dan who proved the strongest over the closing miles, his final efforts almost inducing an anaspeptic condition as he crossed the line, finishing in 47th place with an excellent time of 1-32-22. A few places back saw the 2nd of the MAC duo finishing in 1-33-37 for 54th place.The race medal featured the three spires of the Cathedral and the goody bag had a nice pendigestatory of banana and chocolate bar. There was a total of 599 finishers, the race wins being claimed by Trevor Osborne of Dudley Harriers in 1-15-45 and Kelly Butler in 1-28-03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top