Trigger Fell Race

7 months 4 days ago - 7 months 4 days ago #3601 by Jan Forrester
Thanks Mark Chimley for report on Trigger Fell Race with 650m of ascent and descent.
"Feeling distinctly below par after multiple weeks of annoying illness over Christmas - I even had to miss the Beetroot Race! - I decided to take part in The Trigger last weekend regardless. This year I was the only MAC entrant in this iconic Marsden to Edale Fell race in
a fairly straight line down the Pennines. The route eschews the Pennine Way where possible and crosses Sliddens Moss, descends alongside Crowden Little Beck (a knee deep stream crossing) and onto Bleaklow via Lawrence 
Edge and Wild Boar Clough. This year the aircraft wreck checkpoint on Kinder's north side was moved to the junction of Red Clough and the Snake path. It created a slightly longer route of close to 26 miles.The weather last Sunday was distinctly blustery (about 50 - 60mph gusts on the tops), with light rain and very poor visibility. Having set out at a very sedate pace, I didn't score a particularly high placing for the club (145th out of 182 starters and 164 finishers) but it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and great to be out running in testing conditions.Navigation over Bleaklow (Lawrence Edge to Higher Shelf Stones) was tricky but it was rewarding to flush out a few mountain hares in their white winter coats amongst the peat cloughs. Kinder Downfall was also rewarding, partly because the wind was completely behind us on the approach, but also because it was flowing upwards in a 10m fountain above the plateau.I appreciate that the linear route of the Trigger make its logistics more challenging (especially with a Northern Rail train strike on Saturday!) but there is something very appealing about running from A to B in a straight line and Marsden to Edale is a classic. I would heartily recommend it if you have any fell running aspirations. You'll need good navigation skills, though, and demonstrable evidence of competing in AL or BL races during the year."
The winner was Tom Saville, DarkPeak Fell Runners in 3  hours 31 minutes
50 seconds and 1st lady and 3rd overall was NicolaJackson, Ribble Valley Harriers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top