St Illtyd Ultramarathon 50k

3 months 1 week ago #3250 by Jan Forrester
Kelly Lynn reports on St Illtyd Ultramarathon -
'So there we were driving down to South Wales to do my first ultra marathon, the landscape was beautiful and the temperature was hot and getting hotter.....oh well, it’ll be fine surely!!
I stood on the start line after our race briefing feeling relaxed actually which is a miracle for me with only a small doubt thinking ‘what the hell am I here for!’ The race was amazing, a straight out and back, running through bluebell woods, fields, trails around stunning reservoirs, along canals and a little road. Absolutely no flat though, we were running up or we were running down!! It was such a friendly event where everyone from the organisers to the runners to the volunteers on the amazing food and drink stations to the medical services were all so nice and supportive.
I felt good and enjoyed it from the start and ran the whole thing with another lady, Clara. We kept each other going and upto 4miles from the end where I had a wobbly dehydration moment we stayed together. Clara was in her stride so I told her to keep going and I had a minute finding some shade and having a drink and a breather as I felt really sick and dizzy. I felt ok after a few minutes and carried on, getting a little emotional 1 mile from the end where Charlie had come to meet me to cheer me home!! I couldn’t believe I had done it and done it much better than I ever thought I could, especially in the heat (it was so so hot!).
Despite getting slightly lost and doing a half mile detour and also jumping a fence to dodge the aggressive cows in a field, I completed the 50km in 5hrs 48 mins, 2nd lady to Clara and finishing in the top ten overall. I also raised nearly £1000 for dementia uk too. Loved it!!'
Well done, Kelly!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top