The Ranger Ultra

3 weeks 5 days ago #3075 by Jan Forrester
This event comprises of 50k on the Saturday in the White Peak and 43k on the Sunday in the Dark Peak or 93k if you do them both.
Craig Allen and Peter Wilmot took on the South to North - Ashbourne to Edale on Saturday.
Craig reports -I, with my fellow runner Peter Wilmot decided to undertake the first leg of a two day Ultra- a more local event. However, the day started early with a drive to Edale, Derbyshire for around 6am to register and final checks. The village hall was a hub of activity and on arrival there were plenty of refreshments and breakfast available before a briefing then onto the coach to Ashbourne to the start.
The route covered the Tissington Trail, Monk’s Dale, Limestone Way, Pennine Way and Hollin's Cross before a descent into Edale.
A low key start in Ashbourne but the pace along the trail was unbelievably quick especially considering the weight I was carrying in my backpack and with 50k ahead of us! Each check point along the trail was welcoming and the pace kept on gathering. Two runners in front pulled away and we got to CP2 with a few others runners, not letting the pace slip and carrying on all the way to the end of the trail. A road crossing, a few paths less traveled and we were on the way to Monk's Dale. Wow, slippy terrain, watching our every step the pace slowed which gave us chance to take a breath and prepare for the end point.
The great advantage was Peter had recced the route from Parsley Hay to Edale which helped enormously and a few quick map checks along the way kept us both on track.
After Monk's Dale the route passed through fantastic countryside and through fields, trails and roads.
Again a low key finish at the village hall welcomed with pizza, tea, biscuits and a chance to catch up. Overall a fantastic event with great organisation and check points.
In total there was 11 runners completing day 1. David Longley was first and Peter and myself were joint second in 5hr 43min

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top