× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Me!Me!Me! Footprint of a runner-Gareth Ferguson

More
1 week 5 days ago #3030 by Jan Forrester
Jan Forrester created the topic: Me!Me!Me! Footprint of a runner-Gareth Ferguson
Gareth Ferguson aged 37 married to Ruth. Works as a Field Service Engineer for Draeger

What got you running in the first place?
A - Ben Cartwright got me doing some fell races but I was never very good so I stopped, then I started again in order to train for triathlons.

How long have you been a member of Matlock AC?
A - 2 years

What is it about being in the Club that motivates you?
A – I don’t like running so I need all the motivation I can get which I get from the running club.

What is your favourite meal?
A – Curry!

Stiff drink or herbal tea?
A – Stiff drink – pint of craft lager

Some stats – PBs:
Cycled from London to Paris 260 miles in 2.5 days.
Lands end to John O’Groats 966 miles in 9 days
Matlock cycling club 10 mile time trial champion 2012

Ironman Mallorca 70.3
- Swim: 32:40 (1.2m)
- Bike: 2:52 (56m)
- Run: 2:16 (13.1)
Overall 5:54

Outlaw triathlon (iron distance)
- Swim: 1:09 (2.4m)
- Bike: 5:27 (112m)
- Run: 6:18 (26.2m)
Overall: 13:10

Ironman Austria
- Swim: 1:14 (2.4m)
- Bike: 5:33 (112m)
- Run: 6:18 (26.2m)
Overall: 13:18

You do triathlon which is your worst discipline of the 3 and any ideas on how you can improve this?

A - Running is my weakest discipline as I have been plagued with injuries. I am hoping to be able to run better in the future when my injuries have eased.

Other interests?

A – cycling, swimming, skiing, cars!

Biggest regret in life?

A – I don’t have any!

Any advice for first time triathletes?

A – Don’t think that you cannot complete the triathlon because you can and you will. I had to learn to swim front crawl from scratch in order to improve my times and my style/stroke, if I can do it so can you!

You can choose who to sit next to on a plane who would it be and why?
A – Although I have already met and spoken with him briefly, I would like to be next to Jan Frodeno (German Triathlete. Gold medal winner in Men’s Tri at 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and twice winner of Ironman World Champs 2015/16 and winner of 2015 Ironman 70.3 World Champs), so that I could talk with him in order to get some triathlon tips from him.

What has been your most rewarding running challenge?
A – Helvellyn triathlon (1 mile swim in Ullswater, 38 miles cycle, 9 miles fell run up and down Helvellyn).

Funniest/scrariest running moment?
A – Having to use the toilet 4 times during the outlaw marathon

If you had a tardis to where would you travel in time?
A - I would travel back to talk to my Grandpa Michael, I would ask him about his time in bomber command as a Wellington bomber pilot and his time in Stalag luft 3 prisoner of war camp and talk with him about how he helped be part of the great escape

Is there a race you particularly want to tackle?

A – Challenge Roth Triathlon in Roth, Germany held annually in July. It is Ultra Distance (3.86k swim in Rhine-Main-Danube Canal, 180.25k bike and marathon run taking in the canal.)

Latest music download?
A – Calvin Harris “Feels”

Favourite film?
A – Stand by me. 1986 American coming-of-age drama based on Stephen King’s novel The Body, the story of 4 boys who go on a hike to find the dead body of a missing child.

What is your worst habit?
A – Biting my nails

Where is your favourite place on earth?
A – Vancouver. I used to travel the World with work and Vancouver is very special place and really does have it all! I mountain biked on the North Shore and walked up Grouse Mountain, where is a path called Grouse Grind with amazing views on the top and you can get the cable car back down. Went camping on Vancouver Island and saw lots of bears and went whale watching in Tofino.

Do you have any ideas which Matlock AC could incorporate to improve the club?
A – I think the club works well as it is and don’t have any suggestions.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Share this article:

Go To Top